Saturday, May 2, 2009

I never realized...

Two quick things I never realized about searching for a job...until now:

1. This is a LONG process
2. Sometimes employers are not that great at getting back to you

People always told me you have to work hard to get work, but I will openly admit that I haven't put THAT much time into applying for a job (see April 29 post). I am quickly realizing, though, a lot of time is required. For each job I have applied for I have spent hours crafting the perfect cover letter and tailoring my resume to the specific position.

But, the one thing no one told me is that potential employers aren't always great about getting back to you in a timely manner. As a member of the immediate gratification generation, that is sometimes hard to understand. We are used to having exam grades posted hours after we complete a test, and now we are waiting weeks to hear back about a job. With each application I submitted, I expected a response with days, hours, maybe even minutes. Now, I know better. While I was at first frustrated, I understand the process now and have come to accept it. I may not hear back for a few weeks, and that is ok.

So, my latest piece of advice for those just beginning the job search: Don't expect immediate response (or gratification).

No comments:

Post a Comment