Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Location, Location, Location

I have known for a long time that I didn't want to move back to Kansas City after graduation. Even though I have only been back at my parents’ home for 2 ½ days, I am even more sure this is true. Don’t get me wrong, I love my family and loved growing up in Kansas City, but I know that I need to try something on my own. If I don’t take a risk now, it’s possible I never will.

I am quickly discovering though, that relocation during a recession is not that easy. It seems like employers just aren’t looking outside their companies or cities. Through discussions with many of my friends, we have come to the conclusion that many employers don’t have the resources to fly in applicants or relocate them if hired.

I recently applied for a job with an organization in another city. I felt I was a great fit for the job because I had been involved with the organization as chair of the student executive board and also had extensive experience relevant to the position on my college campus. But, the organization conducted an internal search and ultimately hired someone internally. While I don’t know all the details of their search, it seems that when resources are tight and a company has two comparable applicants, it doesn’t make sense to spend the money to fly in one of the applicants.

So the obvious conclusion here is that you put yourself in the city you want be hired in. My problem is I don’t know what city that is. My next step to is research cities I am interested in and research their job markets. Then, once I narrow it down I will set up shop for a few days, visiting potential employers. Any tips on great cities with (any) job opportunities? I am thinking east of Missouri.

1 comment:

  1. New York is a good place to discover what you're looking for in a city.

    I see you working here:http://www.phearcreative.com/

    ReplyDelete