Friday, May 22, 2009

Is all press good press?

In yesterday’s Kansas City Star, I officially became the poster child for unemployed graduates in Kansas City. Diane Stafford’s At Work business column "College graduates face a tough road ahead" was about the challenges facing the class of 2009. Sound familiar? Stafford referenced my blog and more or less explained that even though I worked hard for the past four years, I am unemployed.

It was great of Stafford to include me in her column, but I had to ask myself, “Is all press really good press?”

My Thursday morning trip to the local gym was quickly interrupted by a family friend wanting to discuss the column and when a parent dropped something by my house later in the day, I once again had the pleasure of discussing my current unemployment. How enjoyable! As my prideful ego suffered throughout the day, I began to question whether agreeing to the column was a good idea or not.

In the end, it was a great idea. For the next few months I will have to push my ego to the side and make sure as many people as possible know that I am unemployed. You never know who can help you, so it is important to keep your options open. So here is a thought, from now on, when I see people in the supermarket or at the gym, I will make sure that I mention I am unemployed and looking for a job within the first minute of conversation. Is this a good idea? Who knows? But, I’ll let you know where it gets me.

1 comment:

  1. Carrie, you are doing a great job with this blog! Keep it up, the right job will find you. You are overqualified for an entry level position, so when you do get one, just show them what a GEM you are. I'm still job hunting in Chicago, so I feel your pain. I'm in the city I want, so now I have to find the job. Take time to enjoy your time being jobless for the beginning of summer - you know we'll look back on this and miss it.

    Anyways, sorry for the long post, I just want you to keep your head up! Just flash that ODK stole and you're golden.

    -Bridget

    ReplyDelete